Friday, November 7, 2008

How We All Long For What We Don’t Have

On this November night I kiss my summer boyfriend
With reluctance, sadness, and uncertainty
Two months removed from the ruins of that promising relationship
Here is my wonderful ex still in love with me
And I break his heart with everything I say or do
But difficult words have always struggled on our tongues
Keeping in so many things I should say
Like how it was him that broke us in two
Even if I sent the text that made it true
And he should have expected
That taking some time apart would mean my tragic love affair
Would fly through town and give me a taste of a whirlwind
And go back to South Dakota while I gave my pain to my pillow
In teardrops that he has caused for four years
So a kiss in November in a big city is one thing
My heart cannot be a part of when it belongs in a
Rural college town in the next state over

1 comment:

Callanstead said...

Time to send this to he who must not be named